If your house needs updating, you may be wondering when is the best time to remodel your home. Whether you’re looking to save money, make sure a contractor is available, or just want to avoid certain seasons, there are more preferred times of the year to remodel your home. When you own your own home, it seems like there’s always something that needs fixing or updated. You can definitely do projects at any point of the year, but knowing the best season for the projects can significantly cut costs and save you headaches.
Spring and Summer
Spring and summer are excellent seasons to do remodeling, but they may not end up being the most economical seasons. When you’re looking to do work on your home, it’s best to find a contractor before their busy season starts. When the weather changes and starts being nicer, it spurs many people to want to remodel their homes and do house and yard projects. Some of the best spring and summer projects are:
- Replacing or repairing a furnace. In the summer, most people aren’t thinking about their furnaces since they aren’t using them regularly. It can be a good time to get a great deal on a new furnace, as HVAC companies may be a lot less busy. Keep in mind that some heating companies may operate seasonally.
- Fix up a fireplace and sweep the chimney. If it’s the sweltering heat of the summer, most people aren’t thinking about operating their fireplaces or having their chimneys swept. If your fireplace needs updating, the masonry needs repairing, or you just need routine maintenance, many fireplaces, and chimney companies may be looking for work and will give you a better deal than, say, in winter.
- Replace windows. Most people want their windows replaced in the summer, so making sure you get on the schedule in early spring can save you time and money.
- Don’t remodel your bathroom. More people remodel their bathrooms in July than any other months, so by avoiding this project during the summer months can end up saving you serious cash.
Fall and Winter Projects
When the weather starts turning towards winter, many people stop thinking about remodeling their homes and start preparing for the long, cold winter. Now can be a good time to take advantage of certain projects. For example, most people aren’t thinking about swimming or air conditioning in the fall, which can give you an advantage over some of the companies.
- Swimming pool repairs. Most people have closed their swimming pools for the season by fall. If you need repairs, or even something like a pool liner replaced, many pool companies are available and willing to help.
- Ducts cleaned. Before people start running their air conditioning units, a lot of people decide that is a good time to get their ducts cleaned. Starting with fresh and clean ducts is a great idea before you run the furnace. You should save money by having your ductwork cleaned in the fall or winter.
- Paint the house. Summer is the most popular time to paint the exterior of the house because of the temperature, but fall may be a better option due to lower temperatures. Depending on your climate, you may find that painters are a lot less busy in the fall, saving you some serious cash.
- New Air Conditioning unit. Just like replacing a furnace in the summer, replacing air conditioning units during the fall and winter can be a wonderful idea.
Call Us For a Quote Today
If you’re thinking about home repairs, Cavalier Builders can help you in turning your house into a home you love. We serve our neighbors in the Hidden Hills, Los Angeles, La Mirada, and Woodland Hills, California areas. Contact us today and we can help you with all your home improvement needs!